© Charlotte Rostad
1 the front part of a person's head from the forehead to the chin, or the corresponding part in an
• the face as expressing emotion; an expression shown on the face : the happy faces of these
• a manifestation or outward aspect of something : the unacceptable face of social drinking.
• [with adj. ] a person conveying a particular quality or association : this season's squad has a lot
of old faces in it.
2 the surface of a thing, esp. one that is presented to the view or has a particular function, in
• Geometry each of the surfaces of a solid : the faces of a cube.
• a vertical or sloping side of a mountain or cliff : the south face of Broad Peak.
• the side of a planet or moon facing the observer.
• the front of a building.
• the plate of a clock or watch bearing the digits or hands.
• the distinctive side of a playing card.
• short for typeface .
• the side of a coin showing the head or principal design.